There’s a good chance you already have an adequate supply of weapons set aside, or you are in the process of collecting them. However, it’s important to consider homemade weapons, as well. In fact, even in today’s world, homemade weapons are becoming more prevalent.
Unfortunately, these are often used by criminals or by prison inmates, but homemade weapons can be very valuable to anyone preparing for disaster and societal collapse. Homemade self-defense weapons can help with the defense of your loved ones and property. Plus, the skill you develop in making these weapons can come in handy down the road.
Skills Are Everything
You see, even if you have a variety of store-bought weapons at your disposal, there is no guarantee that you will keep these in your possession. They can break, become lost, or get stolen from you. After all, nothing is guaranteed in this world, even if you have prepared adequately.
Should you find yourself without weapons, knowing how to make homemade weapons from basic items you have on hand is an invaluable skill. Plus, it’s just plain fun to make good home defense weapons. With that in mind, here are 12 of the best homemade weapons you can make yourself.
Compound Bow from PVC pipes
Compound bows can be expensive, but you can actually make one using PVS pipes. Here is how.
- Heat and bend both ends of the PVC pipe and the riser to make the bow.
- Flatten the limbs and cut out a rectangular piece on each end. Then drill holes on each of the limb’s sides.
- Cut 8 circles from the PVC pipes to make the cams. 4 should take the largest circles while the other 4 should be roughly smaller by half.
- Laminate 4 circles (2 large for the outer walls, 2 small for the inner walls) with PVC cement to form both cams. Cut out part of the cams to make a hook for the strings.
- Assemble the cams and the bow with nuts, washers, nylon spacers, and threaded rods.
- Fold the end of a long cord and twist it around itself to make the bow string. Coat it with hot glue.
- Measure the proper length of the cord and twist the other end of the string. Attach it on the cams and idler wheel.
Mini Cannon from a Lighter
If you want to own a mini-cannon but do not want to spend much, then follow these DIY instructions to make one out of a barbecue lighter.
- Disassemble the barbecue lighter. Extract the trigger, the gas chamber, and the piezoelectric igniter.
- Sand down the white plastic piece from the gas chamber to fit in the barrel.
- Drill a hole at the back of the gas chamber to insert a quarter inch bolt.
- Fasten 2 screws onto the gas chamber.
- Wrap around both of the piezoelectric igniter wires underneath the screw heads.
- Chop the trigger to fit with the barrel and put it back.
Pro tips: To prevent shock from pulling the trigger, cover the screw heads with hot glue.
Now all you need are some airsoft pellet guns, and you can start practicing your mini-cannon aim.
Stun guns are handy to protect yourself, so create one and follow these 5 easy steps.
- Print a gun-shaped frame from the 3D printer.
- Insert the metal probes on the muzzle area of the frame.
- Solder the generator output wires to the metal probes.
- Place the battery holder with the lithium battery on the grip of the frame.
- Place the switches on the trigger and at the hammer area of the frame.
Simple Sling shot
Slingshots are not just for kids; they can also be used for your protection. Make one and follow these DIY steps.
- Mark the 15mm and 210mm mark in your 15m PVC pipe.
- Cut the pipe on the 210 mark.
- Draw a line around your pipe at the 75mm mark. On the tip, draw 2 exactly opposite lines down the 75mm mark.
- Cut the 2 lines down the 75mm mark.
- Heat the pipe until it becomes soft and flexible.
- Bend the pipe into Y-shape.
- Drill opposite holes at the bottom of the pipe.
- Wrap the cord around the pipe grip, from top to bottom. Then insert the end of the cord in the hole and tie it.
- Drill holes on the tips where you will tie the slingshot bands.
1. Pepper Spray
Pepper spray is one of the most basic homemade weapons, but it’s very useful. It’s easy to carry on your person, easy to conceal, and effective at disabling an opponent. It is also easy to make your own homemade pepper spray.
- Spray bottle
- Extremely hot dried chili peppers
- Black pepper
- Pour a handful of chili peppers into a bowl.
- Grind the chili peppers to expose the seeds.
- Add water and black pepper to the chili peppers.
- Stir the mixture.
- Heat mixture to a boil on a stove top, in a microwave, or over a fire.
- Let the mixture cool and transfer to a clean spray bottle.
Slingshots are handy to have in a pinch and it’s one of the easiest homemade weapons to make. Your ammo is literally lying on the ground all around you. You can use things like stones, pieces of broken glass, or pieces of broken building. Anything that will fit into the pouch of the slingshot is fair game.
Fortunately, making your own slingshot is easy. The first thing you will need to do is find a strong fork of wood, ideally hickory, dogwood, or oak. The fork should be a minimum of 30 degrees, and it should be well dried. Other materials you will need include:
- ¼-inch latex surgical tubing
- Leather strips
- Fine string, such as dental floss
- Notch each prong of the fork with your knife. You want the notches to be deep enough to keep the bands in place, but not so deep that the force of pulling the bands will break the prongs.
- Wrap one end of the rubber tubing to the end of each prong until it doubles up on itself. Secure the tubing with a zip tie or wire.
- Cut a 2-inch by 4-inch piece of leather and poke a hole in each end of it.
- Put the loose ends of the tubing through the holes in the leather and tie them off. Remember that you might have to adjust the length of the pieces of tubing, depending on how long your arms are and how much power you want.
Okay, you might not be Indiana Jones, but that doesn’t mean a bullwhip won’t still be useful. And it is so easy to make, with only two materials required:
- 550 paracord (250 to 300 feet)
- 5 ½ feet of ¾-inch nylon cord
- ¾-inch steel rod (10 inches long)
- Strong electrical tape
- File of sanding wheel
- Tape measure
- A vice
- Hollow out the nylon cord.
- File the ends of the steel rod, and insert it into the end of the nylon cord and secure it with electrical tape. This will be the handle.
- Fold the nylon cord in half, not including the length of cord containing the steel rod, and mark the halfway point with electrical tape.
- Open the non-handle end of the nylon cord and put BBs into it, filling it to the center mark.
- Tie a knot in the nylon cord where the BBs end to keep them in place. Make sure there are no spaces between the BBs.
- Remove the tape from the cord.
- Cut a 2-foot length of paracord and take out the core of it. Use one of the core strands to tightly bind the cord where the BBs end so they will stay in place.
- Bind the handle of the whip with electrical tape.
- Cut two 10-foot lengths of paracord and pull the core out of each.
- Weave the paracord around the whip handle and whip. This is a multistage process that is shown in this video.
If you need homemade weapons for the zombie apocalypse, what better one to have than a spiked bat. So easy to make and so very effective against not only zombies, but dangerous people and animals. And since so many people are familiar with The Walking Dead, just the sight of this weapon is guaranteed to strike fear into people, even if you use nails in it, instead of simply wrapping it in barbed wire.
- Wooden baseball bat or other strong length of wood
- At least three dozen 6-inch nails
- A drill
- A hammer
- A vice
- Secure the bat and drill a series of holes at the non-handle end of the bat. Drill these holes through the center of the bat so they go through from one side to the other. Drill the holes in lines – the more holes, the more spikes you’ll have.
- With the bat in a vice, hammer the nails into the holes so the head of the nail is flush with the surface of the bat. The ends of the nails should be long enough to stick out the other side of the bat.
Stun guns or tasers are great homemade melee weapons. This weapon in not out of your league when it comes to what you can make at home.
- Continuous piezo electric sparker (with batteries) – This is what you use to light barbecues, so they are easy to find.
- 2 AAA batteries with holder
- Thick and normal electrical wire
- Soldering iron
- Hot glue gun
- Take the lighter apart, take out the lighting mechanism, and set the casing and screws aside for later.
- Remove all the inner wiring, including cutting out the wires from the base of the metal neck.
- Place 2 thick pieces of electrical wire to the contacts where you just cut out the wires. These wires should be longer than the metal neck.
- Ensure the battery holder is attached to the battery wire.
- Put everything back into the lighter casing. Where things don’t fit well, use the Dremel to polish the plastic.
- Cut the ends of the thick wire near the base, strip the ends, and tin the ends.
- Cut two pieces of normal wire, 2.5 cm each. Tin the ends and connect them to the thick wire.
- Glue the wires in place.
- Test the system.
- Close the casing.