Finding the right mattress for your baby’s crib is extremely important as comfort is of utmost importance. I remember going through several different mattresses just to find the one that will allow my baby to feel the most comfortable.
Why was this important to me? Well of course I want my baby to be as comfortable as possible, but also I want to ensure that she got a good night’s rest. It’s never fun waking up in the middle of the night with your baby crying because it’s uncomfortable in its bed.
This is often overlooked by parents, but it’s crucial that we all understand that the same way we can feel uncomfortable on a crappy mattress, your baby can also feel that way too if you do not provide it with a comfortable mattress to sleep on at night.
SIMMONS KIDS BEAUTYREST BEGINNINGS SLEEPY WHISPERS
I particularly liked the Simmons Kids Beautyrest Beginnings Crib Mattress as it provided very firm support for my baby. Each baby will have different preferences, but the majority will prefer firm support.
What stood out to me as well is that the mattress is water resistant so it ensures that your baby is always kept dry, this was an important factor for me.
It’s Greenguard and CertiPUR-US certified which is definitely a plus. In case you do not know what that means, Greenguard is the standard for ensuring that a product has passed all the requirements for low emissions of volatile compounds. CertiPUR-US is the standard for durability of the foam content used in the mattresses.
I also liked the fact that it came with a lifetime warranty, so that gave me the peace of mind that I did have options and was not just “stuck” with the mattress if I didn’t like it or had an issue with it.
A word of warning though, it is a limited lifetime warranty. What that means is if this product was discontinued, the warranty could be void.
SEALY SOYBEAN FOAM-CORE CRIB MATTRESS
I think of all the mattresses I’ve used for my kids, the Sealy Soybean Foam-Core Crib Mattress was the one that seemed to have a certain “allure” to it. Why? It was simply because it was made of soybean foam which was great in preventing the sagging that occurs in some mattresses. To me, that’s a great selling point for any mattress, as you want your baby to be extremely comfortable.
Some mattresses you’ll also find that there is an issue with scents, but I didn’t experience that with the Sealy Soybean. I believe it was due to the airflow pocket feature that they implemented, which helps the mattress “breathe”.
I also didn’t have any issues cleaning this mattress as it had a wet resistant cover that can easily be cleaned. All the regular standards you would expect from a mattress it does have as well, which were passing all flammability standards along with being CPSIA certified.
MOONLIGHT SLUMBER LITTLE DREAMER
When I first heard about the Moonlight Slumber Little Dreamer Crib Mattress I was a bit intrigued as it was said to be similar to the Starlight Support line but at a cheaper price.
At first glance you’ll think it is a very simple looking mattress, and that is indeed the case, but it does have quite a few features that stand out when compared to other crib mattresses.
First of all it is non-toxic and it’s also waterproof, but what was really great, were the two levels of support it provides.
The infant side provides extra firm high density foam, while the toddler sides utilizes firm high density foam, and it’s all CertiPUR certified. It isn’t often that you find a mattress that caters specially to the needs of your child as it grows.
We all know how certain mattresses can also be a fire hazard, so it was great to know that this mattress had an internal fire barrier for added protection in case of a fire.
It’s a must needed feature in any mattress, but unfortunately not all mattress companies implement it.
It is definitely one of the premier crib mattresses on the market right now. My baby slept on it like a dream, and I believe that what enhanced the experience was the 5 inch thickness of the mattress.
SEALY BABY FIRM REST CRIB MATTRESS
If you’re into features, then you’ll love the Sealy Baby Firm Rest Crib Mattress. When I looked into purchasing this particular model, what I first learned was that it uses a side pocket to ensure cool air circulates throughout the mattress.
That’s not really a feature that many mattress companies integrate so it was a pleasant surprise, and would be an added comfort for your baby.
Another little trick that Sealy used in this particular model was interwoven steel coils. Most mattresses use individual coils, but by having them interwoven it was able to eliminate that “sunken” appearance that usually happens with mattresses that use individual coils.
That was always an issue for me when growing up, I remember my mattresses always having that sunken appearance and it just led to poor nights rest.
This mattress also includes a waterproof cover which is very easy to clean, so you won’t have any issues with leakage. Of course it’s also GreenGuard certified and includes a 20 year limited warranty. It’s simply a great crib mattress for your baby.
KOLCRAFT PURE SLEEP THERAPEUTIC 150
The Pure Sleep Therapeutic 150 crib mattress is a choice that is priced reasonably, but still built with the quality that you’d expect from Kolcraft – a leading manufacturer of safe products. Here are some of the great features that make it a great selection.
- Extra firm support for optimal support and safety. 150 heavy gauge steel coils allow this protection.
- Double purpose – expect many years of use out of it since it can also fit a standard toddler bed.
- Available in one size, and one color. Standard crib size.
- Using the unique technology of “Perma-Dri”, the surface stays non-allergenic, dry, and is a breeze to clean with an easy wipe down.
- Made proudly in the United States of America and comes packed with a long lasting, 10 year warranty that covers the materials used and the workmanship
- Rated 4.5 stars out of 5 on Amazon.com by over 20 real customers that have shared what they think about the Kolcraft Pure Sleep Therapeutic 150
- No fire retardants are used in the construction. This ensures a healthy sleeping experience for years to come.
- Priced affordably for around $60
COLGATE ECO CLASSICA III ECO-FRIENDLIER CRIB MATTRESS
If you prefer to go organic, you’re probably used to spending a little bit more money for quality. This holds true with crib mattresses. Although you’re going to pay more for an organic crib mattress, the piece of mind and assurance that it gives many parents is priceless.
The Colgate Eco Classica III Dual Firmness Eco-Friendlier Crib Mattress is an excellent choice that many have been greatly satisfied with. Some of what it has to offer includes:
- Meets and/or exceeds all standards for indoor air quality and more than ten thousand compounds that are considered to be unsafe.
- Rated 4.7 stars out of 5 on Amazon.com with over 20 real consumer reviews to distinct what actual people are saying about this crib mattress.
- A favorite choice among parents who are looking for the best organic crib mattress for the money. Priced near $200 from online retailer Amazon.com
- Produced with Certi-PUR-US foam that utilizes ecologically friendly oils from plants in the construction of the foam.
- Certified organic cotton cover that the baby lays on is also waterproof – keeping the inner materials clean, dry, and free from any irritants that can lead to other health issues.
- Lightweight and easy to setup in a crib, and to change sheets. It’s of standard size and also fits toddler beds.
SERTA NIGHTSTAR EXTRA FIRM CRIB MATTRESS
Serta is another reputable brand that you may already know of. My personal mattress is a Serta, and it’s been great to me over the years. This quality is said to transfer well into the crib mattresses that Serta is also well-known for.
The Serta Nightstar is an extra-firm crib mattress that provides your baby with a safe surface to sleep, rest, and grow. Some of what it has to offer includes…
- Inside layers allow easy and gentle sleeping that adds safety through the ‘Serta Fireblocker’ technology. It’s a unique material that has a layer of cotton on top of it for added comfort.
- Included in the purchase is a 25 year warranty. This will ensure you’re getting the most out of your money as possible.
- Cute sheep design on surface provides a fun and playful environment for your little one.
- Fits standard sized cribs and toddler beds.
- Using heavy-gauge coils, you’ll notice it’s extra firm support right out of the box. A firm surface is the safest kind of surface for your baby’s crib or bed.
- Rated 4 stars out of 5 by over 75 actual consumers on Amazon.com.
- Priced to be very affordable for less than $90 at most retailers.
SOME HELPFUL THINGS TO POINT OUT…
- Always buy firm. Don’t let your baby on a surface that is soft or plush. Safe crib mattresses come firm and allow your little one to be supported without smothering or any risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
- Shop around for prices and find the best priced options. Most low prices can be found on Amazon
- You don’t have to buy an Organic variety for it to be considered ‘safe’. Look for certifications and standards met from federal and state organizations.
- Buy one that comes with a warranty. You’ll be thanking yourself in the long run if anything should ever happen to your investment.
- Standard size is the way to go. They can also be used for a toddler bed when your infant grows.
- Don’t buy a used one. Spend the extra money and buy one that is brand new. You never know what it has been exposed to or how much use it has seen.
A BUYERS GUIDE=> FINDING THE BEST CRIB MATTRESS
This guide should help you find the best baby mattressfor your little one. The infants spent 70 percent of their time on their crib mattresses. So it is important to find the suitable one for your baby. We will go over all the different features to look for when choosing the right mattress.
Right now there are so many choices from organic, hard or firm and hypoallergenic – which is the right one to choose?
WHAT SHOULD YOU LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A BABY MATTRESS?
- This is where I made my mistake. You should only buy a crib mattress that has good parent reviews. In all the baby mattress reviews that we do you will always see real parent reviews from customers that have bought the baby mattress.
- Makes sure the sleeping surface is free of Lead and Phthalates. (whatever those are )
Baby Mattress Size
- It should be a standard size so it can fit your toddler bed as well.
- The standard size of babay mattress in US and Canada may range between 27 5/8″ to 28 5/8″ wide and 51 3/4″ to 53″ in length
- Bt thickness it can be different whether it is coil crib mattress or a foam crib mattress. Coil mattress tends to be on the thicker side between 5 to 6″, whereas foam mattress are more on the order of 4 to 6″. A 5″ But most people preferred firm mattress than the thick mattress.
- Should have a decent warranty of more than a year.
Firm Or Soft
- Most people lean towards firm, but is definitely something to consider. The brib mattress must be firm since when they first born, the infants A lot of baby mattresses have two sides, one side is firm for infants & one side is a little softer for your toddler.
Types of mattress
- There are many types of mattress available in the market. The types of crib mattress is up to you but the things you should consider is the quality and firmness.
- Foam mattresses are generally the least expensive and the lightest option. These are available in a variety of thicknesses, usually between 3 and 6 inches. More important than thickness, though, is density.
The better foam mattresses are high density, about 1.5 pounds (680 gm) per cubic foot. However, a lot of foam didn’t show the density.
When in doubt, weight can be an excellent indicator; a heavier foam mattress is denser than one that’s the exact same size however lighter.
A typical foam mattress weighs about 7 to 8 pounds, though bed mattress made from memory foam (a particularly thick type of polyurethane) can weigh near 20 pounds.
Bear in mind that you’ll be hoisting up a side of the bed mattress, or lifting the entire thing out of the crib, when changing your infant’s baby crib sheet. Don’t pick a bed mattress that’s too troublesome.
- Innerspring mattress are generally more costly and can be more durable than foam. Producers commonly equate the number of coils in an innerspring bed mattress with firmness, but aspects such as the gauge of the wire and the variety of turns per coil are just as vital.
Lower gauge indicates thicker wire, which is stronger and for that reason firmer. Try to find a bed mattress with 135 or more coils and a gauge of 15.5 or lower.
- Organic mattress gain more of popularity nowadays. It is more expensive but parents said it worth it. The mattresses contend the substance that might harm the babies.
The organic mattress made of all-natural or organic materials, usually cotton or wool. These come in either foam or innerspring option.
- The choice is yours though. But many parents like innerspring mattress becuase it is durable and firmer. Some said the great thing about foam is the kids cannot use it as trampoline and so they cannot kill the spring because there is no spring to kill.
- Make sure it meets all the USA safety standards such as flammability standard, the open flamed standard and the cigarette flammability standards. To ensure that the crib mattress meet the standard, simply look for labels. I think you are pretty safe with most known brand names.
- Thinner foam mattresses start at about $50, and denser models can cost as much as $100. Innerspring mattresses range from $100 to more than $250. Organic mattresses start at about $150 and can reach more than $500.
No matter which of these crib mattresses you decide to go with, you can be assured that you’ll receive a quality crib mattress.
I can tell you through experience that having a great mattress makes a big difference with how your baby sleeps. We all know, the better your baby sleeps, then the better you will sleep as well.
Through the years, what I’ve found is that little things do matter, and safety should always be a priority. That’s why I always would gravitate towards mattresses that offer fire protection, and also leakage protection as well.
To me, that’s not a luxury, but a necessity. You will have your own priorities or features that you’ll want to look for in a mattress, but as noted, you now have four solid options to choose from.